Saturday, November 15, 2008

My Newest Bowl

One of the most exciting things about my work is that I never really know how the finished product will turn out after the wash cycle. Oh, I've come a long way since my humble beginnings and can closely predict the end result - most of the time. But occasionally, I will try something new and it still surprizes me!

I have learned that I can't make a vessel too big or it looses stability. But I set out to make a bowl that had a large base. I wanted to add a second layer of design all the way around as that extra thickness does make the bowl sturdier.







So I set out to work... prepared with an enormous amount of yarn and just kept crocheting and crocheting and crocheting (and a good movie on the TV). The end result was a huge brown blob with red dots measuring 20 inches wide. Based on the 40%shrinkage formula, I was expecting the final bowl to be about 12 inches.

Of course, my prediction was spot on when my husband said, "What is it?" when I showed him the bowl before the wash process. I said, "It will be my biggest bowl ever. Don't you see it?" His eyes just roll at that point.

After 4 wash cycles and shaping/drying process I ended up with a 7 inch bowl. Although it turned out smaller than I had hoped, I was very pleased with the end result and it is just as sturdy as all my other bowls. When I proudly showed my husband his reaction was, "Wow! That shrunk ALOT!"

Yes, it did shrink alot, but I think it is a keeper. I am calling it Cherries Jubilee and I will loving remember this bowl as yet another step in the learning and growing process of my work.

One thing, though. I think I will just give up worrying too much about the outcome as it seems the only thing I can acutally predict accurately is my husband's reaction!



You can purchase this bowl in my etsy shop or you can contact me if you would like something similar. I say similar because, well... I just never know how it will end up!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your bowl is beatiful Valerie, even if it did turn out smaller than you expected. I'm always amazed at the craftsmanship in your felted pieces.. they are all absolutely georgeous!

Allie said...

Oh good grief, Valerie! I have got to stay away from your shop! your new bowl is lovely! :), allie

New England Quilter said...

Another masterpiece Val! It is beautiful! I loved reading the story behind the creation of this bowl.
Amy
http://newenglandquilter.blogspot.com/

Kim Caro said...

oh so beautiful!

LiPeony said...

o wow ingenious bowl! I would've never thought of doing that... I agree with you it came out awesome! The name is very fitting too!

Casey said...

Wow, this bowl is just fantastic! I would never have the patience for felting, but it is so beautiful, I'm always tempted to try. I think I'll just admire your work instead. :-)