Thursday, November 27, 2008

Happy Thanksgiving ~~




Today I am cooking the traditional turkey dinner, as I have done for the past 28 years. Turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, gravy..... the works.

The only difference this year is that only my mother and husband will be here to eat it! And after so many years with a hectic holiday, I think I may enjoy the slower paced, quiet dinner.

I am truly thankful that my children have grown up to be productive, self sufficient and caring people. And I am quite proud of them all! And each one so different from the other, it is a wonder they were all raised in the same home. But I can see that each one have grown into wonderful, caring adults and it warms my heart.

I will miss them this holiday, but will be thinking of them all day long.

And just to add some humor in the midst of all seriousness... my wonderful, single, living alone, 22 year old son called several times yesterday.

First Call: " I don't have a roasting pan.. how can I cook a turkey?" - Oh, your cooking a turkey?? (I almost died) "Yeah, we get a free one at work". Very nice, just go get an inexpensive aluminum pan.

Second Call: "How do you cook a turkey?" I went through the steps... cleaning it, taking out the bags of 'stuff', preparing it, etc. "That's too much work! What if I just......?"

About 2 hours later:

Third Call: "How do you defrost a frozen turkey quickly?" Ha! you don't have it defrosted? "No, I just went out and got it..... "

I will check in during the day with him today to see how it all turned out, but I am sure that he will find a way to make it work.


And here are some pictures taken from my dining room window for your pleasure. Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!






5 comments:

Melanie @ Whimsical Creations said...

Happy Thanksgiving! I have to laugh at your sons phone calls. =D

Anonymous said...

LOl...hope your son's turkey turns out a good as my son's and his girlfriends did last Christmas...their first time too! Many calls later we had a beautiful dinner! You are so right, Val, it is nice to see them grow up to be responsible adults! Happy Thanksgiving!

Lorissa J. Longfellow said...

LOL - I can remember my first turkey on my own, I should have watched my mom and grandmother. I think I called my mom too that AM, but I did know to have it defrosted.

What lovely visitors.

Homemade Zen said...

Happy Thanksgiving! That's a cute story :-)

Anonymous said...

I love your photos from your house. We get deer in our yard all the time because we back up to Bull Run. They are a bit thinner than your deer, however. I don't see turkeys in my neck of the woods, though, unless I go to a farm.