Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Hooker Spotlight ~ My String Theory

This week's hooker spotlight is shinning on a fellow felter ~~ well, technically fuller, but we accept felting.



mystringtheory has an amazing eye for color combinations and designs when making her jewerly and accessories. I would call her work fabulous, fun and funky! She teaches the strings by day and hooks strings at night... Come read more about her from her profile:



"I am a violin teacher by day, and a crocheter by night. And morning. And afternoon. And sometimes my lunch break. I began playing with yarn as a reward for completing my first year of graduate school, and it has grown into a fullblown obsession. After buzzing around practicing and teaching all day, I can't wait to get home to my yarn! It's my favorite daily unwind and meditation activity.




And here is her discription of felting (or fulling):
A Note About "Felting"
"Felting" or "fulling" is a process that shrinks crocheted or knitted items that are made of 100% wool. If a description says that one of my items is "machine felted" that means that I threw the product in the washing machine to shrink it. If it is "hand felted," I scrubbed the item over the stove in hot soapy water (with gloves of course!). A purse that has been felted does not need a lining because the shrinkage and agitation makes it pretty hard for keys and pens to poke through the fabric. On the hand felted items, stitches are still visible, but the item will still be sturdy enough to hold all of your goodies.




Definately take some time to visit her entire shop as her work is incredible. Each item is very unique and keeps you looking around the corner to see the next one!

5 comments:

New England Quilter said...

Very Cool Shop!

Mountainside Crochet said...

My String Theory has lovely things. Nice feature on a talented 'Hooker'.

MyStringTheory said...

WOW. Thank you for this amazing post! I am so honored!!!! :)

frolicnfibers said...

Very cool post Valerie. I love that you are spotlighting new artists...that is so fabulous! I have tagged you for a "meme". You may not have time to do it, but it sounds like fun, so I thought you might like to. Again, love the "hookers"!

Kim Caro said...

ooh--- love the orange yellow and turquoise!