Sunday, July 31, 2011

Sunday Morning Knit Wit ~ Summertime Knitting

I found a new favorite place to knit this summer.  I seem to have migrated to my back yard under our old apple tree.  It is so cool in the shade and I am enjoying the sounds of summer as I knit away!  The birds are chirping, the crickets are cricketing, bees are humming and sometimes, if I listen very very carefully, I can almost hear my garden grow.

Sitting in the shade with a cool breeze and a tall cold drink knitting a small project is my idea of summertime bliss.   I wouldn't suggest working on an afghan or blanket this time of year.  But working on a pair of socks, lacy scarf or pair of mittens are the perfect summertime project.  I'm usually don't use aluminum needles, but I tend to switch to aluminum when the temps go up.  I may be imagining it, but they seem to be alot cooler as well.




Here are a few of my current projects, all very good summertime projects :

Lavender lacy shawl:

Knit Vases for a baby shower:

And a pair of 2 at a time toe up socks:

And a side note on the socks - this is my very first pair of toe up and working 2 at a time.  I'm not sure if I really like this method yet or not.  I seem to be struggling with smooth edges, which I hope will be resolved after blocking.  But, I may just go back to the tried and true method working one at at time on double pointed needles cuff down.  We will see!

What is on your needles this week and what are your ways to keep cool during the summer while knitting?

No comments: