Sunday, February 1, 2015

2015 Challenge: Finding New Techniques

I've spent 2014 knitting up a storm.  I have gotten pretty darn good at top down raglans, basic top down socks and various shawls.  For 2015 I have decided to choose projects that would incorporate learning new techniques to expand my knitting knowledge.

My first project in 2015 was to design a pull over sweater for my grandson without using a pattern that was full of cables.  My thought was to have a fisherman type sweater for warmth, durability and wash ability for an 8 year old boy who loves to play outside.

I decided to do  a bottom up so I could have more control over the cabling designs.  I used Lion Brand Wool Ease so it could be washable without any shrinkage.

The sizing came out a bit big for him, but if I hang on to it for Christmas, he may grow by then for a perfect fit.


 
 
I started at the bottom, Cast on 200 stitches on size 5 needles. (This ended up being a bit large for his narrow body, but I think it is nice for boys to have roomy sweaters to allow play!)
 
100 stitches for front, and 100 stitches for the back.  2X2 rib for a couple inches.
 
Centering the cable design and separating each design with purl 2, I used honeycomb for the center, surrounded by claw on each side and then surrounded by a chain design on each side of that.
 
Knitting up to the length desired to under arms, I did a stockinette stitch sleeves, casting on 36 stitches increasing 6 stitches on the first row after the 2 x 2 rib, then increasing 2 stitches every 6 rounds.
 
I then added the sleeves to the body and began the raglan decrease to the neck, keeping as best I could to the cable patterns as they decreased.
 
The neck is 2 x 2 rib for about 4 inches, then folded over and sewn down on the inside, to make a double thick collar.
 
 
Cable Patterns:
 
Chain: (7 stitches worked over 8 rows)
 
1) Sl 1 PW, K5, S1 PW
2) Sl 1 PW, K5, S1 PW
3) C3L, K1, C3R
4) Knit
5) K2, S1 PW, K1, S1 PW, K2
6) K2, S1 PW, K1, S1 PW, K2
7) C3R, K1, C3L
8) Knit
 
Claw: (9 stitches worked over 4 rows)
 
1) Knit
2) Knit
3) C4R, K1, C4L
4) Knit
 
Honeycomb: (32 stitches worked over 8 rows)
 
1) C4B, C4F
2) Knit
3) Knit
4) Knit
5) C4F, C4B
6) Knit
7) Knit
8) Knit
 
 
Guide:
Sl 1 PW (slip one stitch Purl Wise)
C3L: (Cable 3 left: slip next stitch onto cable needle and hold in FRONT of work. Knit next 2 stitches from left needle, then knit stitch from cable needle)
C3R: Cable 3 right: slip next 2 stitches onto cable needle and hold in BACK of work. Knit next  stitch from left needle, then knit 2 stitches from cable needle)
C4R: (Cross 4 Right: slip next 3 stitches onto cable needle and leave at BACK of work, knit next stitch from left needle, then knit 3 stitches from cable needle)
C4L: (Cross 4 Left:  slip next stitch onto cable needle and leave at FRONT of work, knit next 3 stitches from left needle, then knit stitch from cable needle)
C4B: (Cable 4 Back: slip next 2 stitches  onto a cable needle and hold in BACK of work, knit next 2 stitches from left needled, then knit 2 stitches from cable needle)
C4F: (Cable 4 Front: slip next 2 stitches  onto a cable needle and hold in FRONT of work, knit next 2 stitches from left needled, then knit 2 stitches from cable needle)
 
For my first sweater knit without using a pattern, I think it came out pretty good.  Warren loves my hand made sweaters and wears them all the time.  This one, though, is an original and made especially for him!
 
 


1 comment:

Tall Cottage Thoughts said...

Val, I think you did an excellent job with this sweater. Thanks for sharing the cable info.

It must make you happy Warren wears the sweaters you knit and put such love into.