Saturday, June 21, 2008

The Sights and Sounds of Summer





Today is the first full day of summer and living in Central New York state, that alone is cause for celebration. Mother Nature may not always realize that the calendar says it is summer around here and it has been documented that snow has fallen from the skies during this season here. But this morning is a perfect day and I couldn't resist taking some photos in my yard.







As I was walking around, the birds were happily singing to each other, the loons were calling and there was a woodpecker doing his thing nearby.




I am not what you would call a great gardner or green thumb. More often than not, what I plant typically dies. But I am lucky that there are some plants around here that the previous owner must have pampered and brought to fruition.



I am amazed at the roses, lilies, liliacs, violets, tulips, dafidols and iris that continue to bloom year after year. And I can't help but wonder about the life the lady of the home had over 100 years ago when our home was a working farm.

The cows belong to my neighbor across the road. They look like they are enjoying the beautiful day... I hope you enjoy the beginning of summer as well!









Post Script: I just had to add this picture of the rainbow that appeared in the evening. The perfect ending to a perfect day!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful area...love it, Valerie....it also amazes me at the gardens of other people ...I really struggle with mine!

prettybowtique said...

Beautiful!!!!

Unknown said...

How beautiful! What lovely sights to welcome this summer! I'm not a green thumb, either, but that never stops me from attempting to grow beautiful gardens (although it is always sad when I have to pull out all my dead flowers because they didn't like me enough).

LOL, maybe the next handful of flowers will bloom a little longer for both of us!

New England Quilter said...

Beautiful rainbow! It was a lovely first day of summer here in NH as well. Hubby and I took the babe for a long walk. I wonder those same things about our farmhouse too. We also have a woodpecker who likes to stop by and visit.

magicbeanbuyer said...

wow, the picture of the rainbow is so pretty! it gives you a good feeling.